The links below offer information on various legal and policy issues related to addiction and addiction treatment.
Local and state policies
- Communities in Crisis
- Ending the Opioid Crisis - National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse
- Policy approaches to the opioid crisis - Part 1(Brookings Institution, November 3, 2017)
- Policy approaches to the opioid crisis - Part 2(Brookings Institution, November 3, 2017)
- Intersection of Opioid Addiction and Evidence-Based Policy(APPAM & ASHEcon, via Youtube)
- Against the Odds: Syringe Exchange Policy Implementation in Indiana
- Needle Exchanges Help Curb Disease, but Legislators Don't Like Them(Healthcare Triage with Dr. Aaron Carroll, October 11, 2016, via Youtube)
- Project Cultivate: Helps communities throughout Indiana consider whether syringe exchange is appropriate for them, and if so, how they can begin the process.
- Naloxone Overdose Prevention Laws (January 1, 2001 to July 1, 2017), a dataset focusing on state laws that provide civil or criminal immunity for opioid antagonist adminstration (PDAPS; paid subscription is required to download data).
- Good Samaritan Overdose Prevention Laws (January 1, 2007 to December 1, 2016), a dataset focusing on state laws that create immunities or other legal protections for people who call for help in the event of an overdose (PDAPS; paid subscription is required to download data)
The criminal justice system
- Heroin and Opioid Policy(Criminal Justice Policy Foundation)
- Why Police Backing Is Key to Needle Exchanges(Christine Vestal, Stateline; The PEW Charitable Trusts, February 13, 2018)
- Substance Abuse Disorders: Key Legislation and Innovative Programs Addressing Addiction (National Criminal Justice Association)
- Opioid Epidemic and the Courts (Michael White and Tara Kunkel, National Center for State Courts, 2017)
Treatment in the criminal justice system
- Study: Most people referred for opioid treatment by criminal justice system don't receive optimal care (Barbara Benham, HUB, Johns Hopkins University, December 4, 2017)
- Treating Drug Abuse and Addiction in the Criminal Justice System: Improving Public Health and Safety (Chandler, Fletcher, and Volkow 2009, JAMA)
- Postincarceration Fatal Overdoses After Implementing Medications for Addiction Treatment in a Statewide Correctional System (Green et al 2018, JAMA Psychiatry)