The following links to various organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and others offer helpful information regarding prevention efforts to combat opioid and other substance use disorders.
Disposing of unused drugs
- Disposal of unused medications: what you should know
- National Drug Take-Back Day
- DEA controlled substance public disposal locations
Information on drug use and addiction
Prevention for adolescents and children
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Guide for Teens
- Storing medication away from children
- Operation Prevention
- Youth First Inc.
Information on prescription opioids
- Prescription Opioids
- What to ask your doctor before taking opioids
- How can prescription drug misuse be prevented?
- Opioids for acute pain — get the facts
Information on synthetic opioids
Alternatives to opioids
Prevention tools for practitioners